Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Revison, Revison, Revison

"The difference between the right and the nearly right word is the same as that between lightning and the lightning bug."  Mark Twain 

This quote by Mark Twain reflects my views of revision. The perfect words in the right arrangement can have the effect of lightning on a person, really helping them to connect strongly to the piece of writing. When I revise, I look at my teacher's and peers' comments to see which words and images are only having the effect of a lightning bug, and I try to figure out how to strengthen these words and images so they really deliver an emotional punch. Language is inexact in conveying the same meaning to everyone, but through revision I can do my best to insure my work is doing the most powerful job it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment